Sunday, September 8, 2013

Easy Benedict (with five minute hollandaise)

I woke today feeling totally disenchanted at the state of our political system and in dire need of some pampering.  With only eggs in the fridge and one stale slice of bread in the tin, I needed to get creative.

I'm gonna be straight up here.  I love hollandaise, but I don't have time or patience to muck around with  endless whisking and staring at the stovetop and measuring in bits of butter at set times.  I'm a "throw it all in the pan and mix like mad and hope for the best" kinda gal.  I know I'm not alone here.

Easy Benedict 

Ingredients:

3 egg yolks
approx 100g melted salted butter (microwave it!)
juice from one lemon
cracked pepper
eggs for poaching (or scrambling, or frying, or however you like them)

How to:

Put a small pan of water (about an inch) on to the stovetop and bring to a simmer.  On the top of the pan, place a bowl (not touching the water) and throw in the the egg yolks.  This is where you start whisking.  As you whisk the yolks, slowly pour in the melted butter, keep whisking the mixture until it starts to pale and thicken, then add the lemon juice.  Once you get to your desired level of thickeness, take it off the heat and add some pepper.  It should look a bit like this.


Poach or whatever your eggs.


Spoon over your awesome kick - butt, five minute hollandaise, and get into it.


 (Oh, and with the leftover egg whites, you can make this.)

No comments: