Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oysters and Mussels from Queen Vic

I've posted before that my husband is not a fan of certain foodstuffs; whereas I'm more your "I'll eat anything" kinda girl.  So when I find myself home alone or in restaurants, I indulge.  Saturday morning - slightly the worse for wear after a big night out - I found myself unusually close to the city and in need of a vitamin kick.  Omega 3's, here I come!

Mussels in White Wine

If you're a mussel lover like me, this will serve one - however if you're a normal person, this will provide two quite generous serves.

Scrub and de-beard 1 kilo of fresh mussels, set aside.  In a medium heated pan, saute four chopped spring onions and two crushed garlic cloves until transparent and fragrant.  Add half a cup of dry white wine ( I used a Sword's Pinot Gris ) and half a cup of fish stock, simmer until slightly reduced.  Add the mussels, put on the lid and cook for approx 10 mins or until the mussels open.  Take the mussels out of the pan as they open (discard the ones that stay closed), set aside, covered with foil to keep warm.  Strain the stock into a bowl using a fine sieve (I used a regular colander lined with a clean chux); tip it back into the pan and simmer for five minutes.  Turn heat down and whisk in 2 tbs cream and 1 tbs butter, until thickened slightly.  Pour over the mussels, serve immediately with some crusty bread and a green salad.



Oysters with sesame dressing

Take a dozen freshly opened oysters ( I used coffin bay ) and prop up on a plate (use rock salt if they won't stand up on their own).  Combine two finely chopped spring onions, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tbs rice wine vinegar and 1 tbs light soy sauce - whisk together with a fork then spoon over the oysters.  Serve immediately.

No comments: